Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Top Ten Atheist Quotes 2

By: Matthew Chatterton

I've done this list before but the material is so rich, how could I not do another? Here are excerpts from their views and philosophies, pertinent to religion.


10) Penn Jillette


"It's fair to say that the Bible contains equal amounts of fact, history, and pizza."


9) Tim Minchin


"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so belief can be preserved."




"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."


7) Bertrand Russell


"My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true. Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity."


6) Adam Savage


"I have concluded through careful empirical analysis and much thought that somebody is looking out for me, keeping track of what I think about things, forgiving me when I do less than I ought. Giving me strength to shoot for more than I think I’m capable of. I believe they know everything that I do and think, and they still love me, and I’ve concluded, after careful consideration, that this person keeping score is me."


5) Christopher Hitchens


"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."



4) Sam Harris


"It is time that we admitted that faith is nothing more than the license religious people give one another to keep believing when reasons fail."


3) Lawrence Krauss


"Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today."


2) Richard Dawkins


"Many of us saw religion as harmless nonsense. Beliefs might lack all supporting evidence but, we thought, if people needed a crutch for consolation, where's the harm? September 11th changed all that."


1) Mark Twain


"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."


Conclusion:

Compiling this list has, again, been a great pleasure for me. I hope you thoroughly enjoyed this list. :)




Thank you for reading! Feel free to comment, share, and subscribe!